Updated: Apr 7
Todays recruiters have become lazy and are seduced by the Internet. Most believe that finding all of our candidates online would be a cakewalk from here on. I’ve got some good news and bad news for you. You can find great candidates on the Internet, but it’s still going to take work. We need to get back to the basics. Here's what great candidate sourcing best practices is all about.
1. Define The Job, Not The Person Sourcing the best candidates must start with a compelling vision of what the job entails. Don’t rely on a traditional job description to source candidates. Instead, ask hiring managers what the person needs to do in the job to be successful, and get a description of at least three or four major projects. The best candidates will only explore a job if it offers growth opportunities.
2. Have a Strong Basic Pitch Would you be open to exploring a situation that’s clearly superior to what you’re doing today?” Ninety-nine percent of candidates will say, “Yes.” Use this approach every time you first talk to a top candidate on the phone. Or when you hit voicemail or an answering machine, use this as your basic message. You must also capture this idea in your advertising.
3. Write Compelling Advertising When writing the job description, avoid the traditional or boring. Ads need creative titles and copy that describes what the person will be doing, learning and becoming. Don’t list skills and years. This filters out rather than opts-in the best people. Describe the skill in the context of how it’s used. For example, “Use your accounting background in manufacturing to help us build a new reporting system.” If the ad title says, “Accounting Wizard Required,” you’ll attract some top people to the candidate pool.
4. Work Efficiently with Resume Databases At Valve Solutions our experts follow candidate sourcing best practices. No more spending time and money going through a pile of irrelevant resumes. Based on your search criteria we can build a database of resumes as an excel file with over 25 data fields. You can import this into your CRM/ATS and all the data gets parsed. Now just search respective columns, sort and match job openings and with a click open respective linkedin profiles of your target candidate. For more Click Here
5. Run an Email Marketing Campaign.
Automatically email this to any people who meet your employee screening requirements, and ask them to respond. Here’s an example: “I found your resume on the Internet and was very impressed with your background. If you’re still looking for a position you might be interested in this our opportunity (insert ad). If you’d like to pursue this, please send me your latest resume and a quick paragraph describing your most significant accomplishment in the area of (whatever may be relevant, e.g., launching new industrial products).”
6. Network If you were looking for a job, every wise person you know would tell you that a good recruiting strategy is all about networking; same goes for looking for the best candidates. Ask everyone you talk with if they know someone appropriate for the job. It’s a great way to find top candidates. If the job is not compelling though, they’ll only give you names of people looking for work. To get a name of a top passive candidate, you need to describe a compelling job. When you get the name, call them up and ask them the basic pitch question.
7. Build your strategy
If you combine advertising, searching through resume databases and networking, you’ll be able to build a pool of 3-5 top candidates. Remember though, it all starts with a compelling job description that defines what the person will do, not what the person must have. This is the essential first step of every successful search assignment. At Valve Solutions our experts follow candidate sourcing best practices to ensure the resumes you recieve are just what you are looking for. This way we can do all the heavy lifting for you leaving you more time to engage, nurture and close more positions faster. We've got the time-tested expertise, plus cutting-edge technology, to help you with sourcing top candidate resumes. For more